Paperwork before going to the Netherlands

It’s dull, bureaucratic, but absolutely necessary. Dutch paperwork has quite a reputation. Before you go to the Netherlands, there are a lot of arrangements to be made, like permits, setting up insurance cover, and finding appropriate housing. Thankfully, during your training, the EDE coordinators are already working on the preparations. You are the one who will have to make the final arrangements, but we will offer support every step of the way.

What you need to do:

  • Dutch health professionals are required to register under the Individual Healthcare Professions Act (Wet BIG), which enables others to understand your qualifications and functions as proof of your competence. Without this registration, you are not authorized to work. On average, there’s a three month waiting period for this registration. EDE will supervise and provide support with the registration process at the hotel as well as from the Netherlands, and will keep you updated on your status and any developments.
  • To be able to work in the Netherlands, you need a social security number. We'll make an apointment for you when you have arrived in the Netherlands, so you’ll be all set when you finish your internship and are ready to sign your contract with the practice where you’ll be working. In the Netherlands this number is known as the ‘burgerservicenummer’ (citizen service number).
  • Health insurance is mandatory in the Netherlands. You’ll pay a set amount each month for a basic package, and have the option of adding extra coverage. We’ll explain all the options to you in Seefeld, so that when you arrive in the Netherlands, it will be ‘appeltje eitje’ (literally: apple egg, meaning: easy peasy).
  • We’ll also prepare you for the housing market in the Netherlands. We’ll show you which websites to check out and what brokers to engage in order to find yourself an apartment for rent. Because as soon as you’ve completed your internship and signed your contract, finding a nice place to live is an absolute priority.
  • The Netherlands also requires proof of inoculation against Hepatitis B. This is a dangerous and infectious disease, especially for those who – like you – work in healthcare. You should have been tested and inoculated during your original training as a dentist. As part of the course, you’ll take a blood test in order to have proof of inoculation when arriving in the Netherlands.